If a camper’s conduct or management becomes dangerous to themselves or to others we will: manage the situation to the best of our ability given the staff and resources; contact the parents or emergency contact person for guidance and to inform of action taken. Unresolvable problems rarely occur at camp but when all other plans of action have been tried we will ask the parents/guardians to transport the camper home.
- Campers will get up to three warnings for misconduct.
- As well, privileges may be lost (ie: canteen).
- The second warning will include a phone call home.
- The third warning may result in early dismissal.
- Campers dismissed from camp will NOT receive a refund.
- Cooperation with and respect for those in authority is expected and required.
- Leave mp3, stereos and CD players, cell phones, electronic games, etc. and bad attitudes at home.
- Camper’s are expected to behave in a safe and non-aggressive manner.
- Camper’s are not allowed in restricted areas. (Staff housing areas, pastures, etc.)
- Proper footwear and clothing required while participating on the ropes course.
-For ropes course: Sneakers – sandals not allowed, long pants or shorts.
- Modest clothing is required at all times
– Modest one-piece bathing suit ONLY
– Tube tops, low-cut and spaghetti straps are
- For the protection of our campers, while maintaining a relaxed atmosphere of fun and adventure, Caton’s Island insists that campers adhere to our code of conduct. No alcohol, tobacco, drugs or sexual misconduct will be tolerated. Campers breaking this code, or who are rebellious and uncooperative may be picked up early by parents. (No refund will be issued to these campers.) Every effort, however, will be made to make your child’s stay at camp both enjoyable and safe.
Electronics and Cell Phones
Caton’s Island adheres to a strict no cell phone/electronics policy for campers. Caton’s believes that the camp experience is a way of stepping outside the rhythm and routine of everyday life into an engaging week which helps to shape the campers independence and problem solving abilities. The camp atmosphere encourages campers to step outside of their comfort zones and participate in new activities free from electronics. Cell phones may promote homesickness, hinder the camper’s ability to create friendships and allow inappropriate posting of pictures to social media sites . In adherence to this policy, campers should not bring electronic games, i-pods or cell phones to camp.
How to Resolve Camp Problems
Caton’s Island is committed to providing a high quality camp experience for each of our campers. However, from time to time, there are issues that need attention. Please feel free to call and discuss these issues with our Camp Director, Program Director, or office staff by phone or e-mail. Talk to our staff as soon as problems arise so we can work towards a solution immediately.
Campers are not permitted to smoke at camp. Please do not send or encourage campers to bring cigarettes to camp. The camp must be informed about campers with a nicotine habit.